Sunday, November 15, 2009

And then she grew up...






(All images courtesy the web)

In my previous post I had spoken about books which have a special place in my childhood memories. This blog is a tribute to the books that I have fallen in love with as an "adult". As you grow so do your priorities. The innocence of childhood gets replaced by the desire to read something more intellectual and serious. I guess I to have entered that phase.From Beatrix Potter and Enid Blyton to John Grisham, Amartya Sen, Jhumpa Lahri etc.

I have always had a fascination for law and I must admit that if lawyers didn't have to study so much I would have chosen the profession over journalism..John Grisham's Legal tales have everything that I as a reader would love to spend hours engrossed in. I started reading Grisham due to "The King of Torts". For me it was and will always be the best book I have ever read.Each book managed to intrigue me to such an extend that I just can't keep the book down till I have finished reading it. All his Books that I have read like The Runaway Jury, The Brethren, The Rainmaker, The Pelican Brief etc have had a similar effect. If there was one book which I could say disappointed me , it was the Broker which I felt was just not John Grisham.

The Namesake and Unaccustomed earth by Jhumpa Lahiri have shown me how simple yet how classy books can be written.Both books highlight aspects such as culture with a strong emotional background. The Unaccustomed earth with its short stories is a delight to read.Kunal Basu's Japanese wife published in a book of the same title is also story which I enjoyed reading ( I am awaiting the movie based on the story being directed by Aparna Sen)

It's not that I always read Fiction. Amartya Sen's Argumentative Indian, 13 December , Black Friday by Hussein Zaidi , Bachi Karkaria's Erratica ( a collection of her published columns)have also been books I have found myself engrossed in.

The list could be endless, everyday you encounter new books and with them newer aspects to life. I have been away from reading since a very long time ( Thanks to my never ending course work)and really need to get back to it as they say life is your best teacher and for me these books constitute my life.....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooo much anishaa for the blog. Namesake is one of my favourite books. This is indeed a befitting tribute to miss lahiri

    ReplyDelete